East Niles Community Service District

Click here to email Customer Support, Sales, General Information

Bakersfield Weather Report and Forecast

ENCSD Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Service Charge on my water bill?
The Meter Service Charge represents fixed costs associated with maintaining your account such as meter reading and ongoing expenses for maintenance of the meter & service lateral to your property. The District incurs these expenses regardless of the actual amount of water used by the customer, and in a sense this charge can be thought of as a Readiness-to-serve fee based upon the size of the meter.

Why is the sewer fee so high and what is it for?
The sewer charge (if applicable) on your bill is currently $14.69 per month for each single-family dwelling. This rate is comparable if not lower than sewer charges in nearby jurisdictions such as the City of Bakersfield and North of River Sanitary District. The sewer fees provide the funds needed to operate and maintain the District’s sewer system and also to pay contract costs to the City of Bakersfield for wastewater treatment & disposal as well as capital improvement costs for their infrastructure.

How long will the sewer fee continue? East Niles CSD
The sewer fee is an ongoing charge and continues as long as there is a lateral connection from the property to the District's sewer system.

What is the hardness of the water?
The District’s water supply is considered hard in some areas where groundwater is pumped. The hardness varies somewhat but is approximately 171 to 346 parts per million (ppm) as calcium carbonate or 15 grains per gallon.

Is there any fluoride in the water?
The District does not add any fluoride to its water supply. The water does contain a detectable amount of naturally occurring fluoride ranging from 0.1 to 0.19 ppm.

Why is their so much chlorine in the water?
The State Water Resources Control Board Division of Drinking Water requires water suppliers to maintain a disinfectant residual in all water being served for public health reasons such as the elimination of pathogenic viruses or bacteria. The District is required to maintain at least a 0.2 ppm minimum chlorine residual in its water distribution system. The District maintains this chlorine level at approximately 0.5 to 2.2 ppm but it varies somewhat by location and time of year. There are no potential harmful effects of drinking water with this chlorine level. If you are sensitive to its taste, a pitcher of tap water can be refrigerated for a few hours prior to its use. This will allow the chlorine to dissipate.

Why do we need to come into the office to start service?
All new customers need to come into the office at 1417 Vale Street to fill out an application. A $75 deposit may be required to initiate water & sewer service. The deposit is waived if the applicant is owner of the property to be served and provides proof of ownership such as a grant deed, property tax bill, real estate transaction closing statement, or other form acceptable to our customer service staff. All deposits will be refunded less outstanding charges upon termination of service.

Can I pay my bill with a credit card or electronic banking?
The District’s billing system is currently set up for handling payments by credit cards only. Visa, Mastercard, and Discover cards are accepted. More frequently asked questions regarding credit card payments are viewable after you click on "ePayments" located on the lower left side of the screen.

Why is my water bill so high? Did your rates increase?
The water rates were last increased in April of 2017. Perhaps your consumption is higher for some reason. Please call our customer service staff at 661-871-2011 and we would be glad to investigate your high bill. We compare your recent water usage with historical data, check the meter, and assist with leak detection at your property.

Who do I call If I have a water or sewer emergency in the middle of the night?
The District has personnel standing by 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to assist customers with water and sewer emergencies. For any water or sewer related emergency, call the District office at (661) 871-2011 during normal business hours and at (661) 871-2011 after 5:00 pm and on weekends.

I need to make repairs to my plumbing or irrigation. How do I shut-off my water?
The District recommends that all customers use their house (gate) valve to shut off the water supply to their home to make repairs. If you cannot locate your house (gate) valve or it is necessary to shut the water off at the water meter, call the District office for a customer service representative to shut off the water at the meter. Please note you will be charged for water shut-offs occuring after normal business hours. You can reach the District office at (661) 871-2011. Please note that a specialized tool is required to shut the water off at the meter. Attempting to turn the water off at the meter without this tool may result in damage to the mechanism and additional repair charges will be assessed.

Why does East Niles Community Services District let water run down the street?
When old pipes are replaced or new ones are installed, the pipes must be disinfected with chlorine before they are connected into the District's system. After a day or two, water is flushed through the pipes to rinse out the chlorine before the pipes are put into use. In addition, the District regularly runs water through the system to flush lines where stagnant water can collect. This is done to assure high quality to our valued customers.

Can I make payment arrangements for my water bill?
Customers that are having financial difficulty or receive a large water bill resulting from a water leak may establish payment arrangements with the District. Interest is not charged and terms are on a case by case basis. However, all payment arrangements must be in writing, agreed to and signed by the customer, and are subject to approval by the Manager.

If I have a leak, who is responsible for repairing it?
It depends on the location of the leak. If the leak on a waterline is located on any line after the water meter, it is the customer’s responsibility to have it repaired. If the leak is located at, or prior to, the water meter, it is the District's responsibility to repair it.

Am I responsible for the condition of the plumbing system where it is connected to the District's meter?
Yes, in fact the District from time to time will make improvements to its system by replacing older water service laterals and meters with new components. During the course of this work, if reconnection to the customer's plumbing is difficult or impossible due to its deteriorated condition, the customer will be responsible for making any necessary upgrades. The District will provide notification when this situation arises. East Niles Community Services District, Bakersfield CA, 661-871-2011